Friday, April 28, 2006

Everything's Plastic and Life Sucks

To my dear readers...

both of you. :)

I must apologize for being a terrible blogger and not posting a bloody word this week. I must admit, I have been suffering from a bit of world-weariness and general pop culture depression. When I was younger I used to just eat up those 'hero's journey" fantasy books where someone would go off in the 'mythical woods' and save the world from evil forces. You know the kind of which I speak, yes? Lately I've been feeling like perhaps such an epic battle took place here long ago, except the evil forces won. We are doomed to ten thousand years of darkness and nobody even notices anymore. How else can we explain the creepy Christian right, global warming, human sex trafficking and the continued success of Paris Hilton in the media? If I hear one more story about how I can loose weight and look ten years younger or how Tom Cruise wanted to eat the baby's placenta I am going to hurl. There is so much to write about that there is nothing to write about. How could I possibly choose?

Maybe it's just all the overcast grayness of the weather this week. Maybe it's the inane tasks I spend my day performing for the papmpered businessmen in my office. Maybe I just need a vacation.

The more I think about it, though, the more I realize that every age of every civilization thought their world was going to hell in a handbasket. I'm sure ancient Egyptians sat around bemoaning the huge budgetary irresponsability of builing yet another pyramid. (Ok, maybe not, but I'm sure they were worried about something). The point is not to get mired down in the hugeness of it all and loose all hope. Go outside and plant a tree or volunteer at the animal shelter. Something. Anything. The hardest step is always the first one!

I really must work on following my own advice.

2 comments:

Marz said...

Ironic that today you choose to advise us to plant a tree, it's Arbor Day! But try finding that on a commercial calendar. I'm sorry sweetie, if it makes you feel any better, I have not posted a word in a week either and I have several ideas floating around my head, even links and photos saved to write about. Boo overcast days and stuffy mind-numbing office work!

meesh said...

I swear these flourescent lights are sucking out my poor little brain cells. Nooooooooo! :)

As Scarlet O'Hara reminds us...tomorrow is another day! (sigh)

Oh, and Happy Arbor Day!